Everyone knows that we need bees. They are the most important animal in the world. It is estimated that one-thirds of our food relies on pollination from bees. But sometimes, these bumblebees get tired from flying and fall asleep in flowers with pollen all over their little furry bee butts like these 17 below:
1. Certain bees actually sleep.
2. But it makes sense, they are some of the hardest working creatures on the planet.
3. Our world would be a much different place if bees didn’t exist.
4. All bees have stiff hairs and pockets on their legs which allows them to collect more pollen in between plants.
5. Bumblebees are the most successful in pollinating certain crops because of their bigger size and vibrations.
6. Pollination is essentially plant reproduction.
8. Bees are responsible for pollinating approximately $19 billion worth of agricultural crops in the U.S. alone.
9. If bees didn’t exist, we wouldn’t have foods such as broccoli, cantaloupes, cucumbers, asparagus, pumpkins, blueberries, watermelons, cranberries and apples.
11. Worldwide, there are 25,000 different types of bee species with over 4,000 in the U.S. alone.
12. Bees have actually been declared the most important living being on the planet according to the Earthwatch Institute.
13. Unfortunately, bees have also been declared an endangered species with 90% of the bee population disappearing in the past few years.
14. The biggest reason for the decline can be attributed to uncontrolled use of pesticides, lack of flowers and deforestation.
15. Most activists believe we need to immediately stop the use of pesticides to stop the decline.
17. Greenpeace says we can restore and protect the world’s bees just by using common sense.
Bees are easily the most important species on Earth. And luckily, as the picture above show, they are also adorable!