Recently, Ophthalmologist Dr. Patrick posted photos of one of his patients who was suffering from a cultured pseudomonas ulcer which he states was caused by the patient going to sleep without removing her contacts first.
Dr. Vollmer shared photos on Facebook of his patients eyes which shows that her cornea was being eaten away by bacteria and he says it’s solely because she continued leaving her contact lenses in at night while she slept.
He states: ‘Pseudomonas (bacteria) is an important cause of ocular morbidity and its opportunistic characteristics quickly lead to permanent blindness.
‘The bacteria explosively eats away at the patients cornea in a matter of days leaving a soupy, white necrosis (dead tissue) in its wake.’
Dr. Vollmer said it was likely that his patient would experience some sort of permanent vision damage.
Dr. Vollmer did say he was able to start the patient on antibiotics and steroids to help reduce permanent scarring but unfortunately it will be likely that she will suffer from some form of permanent vision loss.