When I see DIY projects, I always think they look like a good idea. But in reality, I’m the least creative person out there and they usually look like a 5-year-old did them when I make an attempt. Over the years, I’ve learned to pace myself when it comes to DIY projects. I take on only ones that I know I can actually do. I’m not Martha Stewart! I must stick to the simple DIY projects instead. When I found this list of 39 simple DIY projects, I knew I found the perfect list for me!
1. Just because you’re not an artist, doesn’t mean that you can’t try your hand at painting. This design is a quick and simple abstract painting that would look great in most rooms.
2. Hide your alarm box behind a cool painting of your choice. Attach hinges to the wall and painting, and you’ll never know there is something behind it.
3. Get paper mache letters, spray paint them your favorite color, and you have cute letters for anywhere in your house.
4. Not sure how to store your art supplies? Turn your colored pencils into a work of art when you put them in a rainbow display.
5. No use for your old CD’s anymore? Turn the jewel cases into picture frames.
6. Do you have a big space to fill, but nothing to put there. Cut circles out of poster board, spray paint them, then glue onto a canvas, frame, and hang!
7. Turn your Instagram pictures into an awesome clock! You can even change out the pictures if you want to update it a bit.
8. Turn coffee stir sticks into a work of art. Paint them a variety of colors, then glue them into place inside a frame. This can be done to match any color of your decor.
9. Not sure what type of picture to hang? Find an antique frame at a thrift store. Then visit your local fabric store and find something that matches what you’re looking for. Frame the fabric, and you’ll have a great piece of art all ready to go.
10. This great piece of flower art is made using 2 things: doilies and orange thumb tacks! How simple is that!
11. Spice up a boring wall using foil tape to create awesome designs.
12. Create a vertical succulent garden following the steps above. This would be great to bring some life inside during the winter or a great backdrop on a small patio.
13. Garland is a great way to bring color to any room. But don’t spend too much money on it. Garland is one of those things that you can make for a lot less at home.
14. Make beautiful stamped art using a potato stamper. Confused? Check out these tips.
15. If you don’t mind making a little mess, put crayons in a hot glue gun and melt crayons to create this fun piece of art. This would be adorable in a kid’s bedroom.
16. Turn a regular picture into a beautiful piece of watercolor pixel art. The instructions can be found here, and it can be done in an afternoon.
17. Use everyday items to hang up pictures throughout the house. I love the idea of an art wall where kids can hang their creations they bring home from school.
18. String art is gaining popularity due to its ease and cost. Not sure what to create, try to be creative. It’s your art!
19. There are a lot of companies out there that will blow up your Instagram photos so you can use them as pictures throughout your house. Add some filters and you are good to go.
20. How cute are these? Glue wooden letters to a canvas in whatever design you choose, then spray paint!
21. Want to be abstract but not sure where to start? Try using masking tape to make a design on a piece of canvas, pick out a cool paint color, and paint the canvas. When it has dried, remove the tape and you’ll have a one of kind piece of art for your home.
22. Create a menu for your kitchen where you can wipe off the words when needed. Get a piece of fabric and place it in the frame. Use sticker letters to create the words you want to stay there permanently, then use a dry erase marker to fill in the menu for the week, wiping off with an eraser or towel when needed.
23. Is that mirror too small for the space you want it in? Add a few more tiny mirrors to create the look above.
24. If you’ve got some time on your hands, use a stencil to create this Moroccan inspired wallpaper.
25. Stencil letters onto a thrift store painting to make it all yours and very unique.
26. Use a peg board painted any color you’d like to create a quick and creative storage space.
27. If you’re like me, I have a lot more pictures that don’t turn out than actually do look good. Don’t throw them away. These can be turned into an awesome piece of art when combined with other pictures like it.
28. Have a really cool scarf that you just don’t wear anymore? Turn it into a wall hanging.
29. A magnetic Scrabble board is a great way to make sure your game is never interrupted.
30. A great way to create a fun wall without painting it. Sequins!
31. Turn shoe boxes into cool storage shelves by painting and hanging!
32. Hang fabric using liquid starch. It peels off really easily, which is great if you are in a rental. Use a heavy fabric though for this kind of project.
33. Use string lights and canvas to create your own constellation art. Just poke holes in the canvas and place the lights in the holes, to create any design you want!
34. You know those paint mixer sticks? Well paint them, glue them to the back of a mirror, and how awesome is this!
35. Use paper towel and toilet paper rolls to create fun designs, then spray paint them your favorite color. The black one above looks like rod iron, but nope! It’s toilet paper roles.
36. Use an old window as a new picture frame. I love the weathered look of this window.
37. Time to turn those wine corks into something useful and fun!
38. Find your favorite fabric, and wrap around a wood frame or a piece of canvas, then secure it with staples in the back.
39. Use up all those yarn scraps by placing them in a shadow box frame and turning it into art instead. No need to throw away all that yarn.
Some of these projects look like a blast! I really like the constellation art and the reusable weekly menu. It’s so cool what you can create with things you may have lying around your house already.