Are you having a bad day today? Credited as Co-Writer, Character Designer, Creative Consultant, Creative Supervisor, Developer, and Writer of the famous T.V. show, The Simpsons, Sam Simon passed away at the age of 59. There are many heavy hearts for the world’s loss as this creative genius lost his battle with colon cancer. As a man that helped to bring humor and happiness to so many people, Sam Simon would probably have wanted your final memories of him to do the same. The genius of The Simpsons has affected nearly everyone’s lives in one way or another. Below is my version of a Sam Simon Memorial, 25 Simpsons moments that taught me a thing or two, and definitely changed my life forever. Next time you have a google earth bad day, re-read this.
1. Adults Kill Dreams: Don’t listen to him Ralph. You can be anything you want to be!
2. Alcohol: Ain’t that the truth!
3. Any Key: If I had a dollar for every time this was quoted by a coworker, I’d have a whole lotta dollars.
4. Arranged Marriages Can Work: All you need is love.
5. Beware of Multiple Meanings: It seems Otto is always ending up at the wrong joint.
6. Bringing Love: Don’t always believe what you’re told. When all else fails, follow the angry mob.
7. Truth in Big Business: And that about sums it up.
8. Teaching Us Foreign Languages: Apparently ‘DIE’ means ‘THE’ in German. Thank you Simpsons, now I can add bilingual to my resume.
9. Don’t Lie To Mom: Somehow, she always knows! Not my mom though, she just always accused us of lying and we ended up telling on ourselves.
10. Don’t Over-think Everything: Sometimes the easiest solution is the right one.
11. Do What You Want: Sometimes you just gotta be a rebel.
12. You Get What You Pay For: Honestly, I was looking for the cheap Sleep Eazy!
13. Good Advice: And an excellent play on words.
14. Always Leave Your Mark: Well, maybe not if you’re involved in illegal activities.
15. Life After Stardom: Glad to see U2 didn’t fall flat on their faces.
16. Listen to Your Parents: Okay, maybe they can give some bad advice, but listen anyway.
17. There’s No Going Back: Sorry, Ralph. Some things you just can’t un-see.
18. Saying Grace: Thanks for nothing.
19. Sex Sells: It’s an undeniable truth.
20. Sit and Watch TV: You totally have to relax to enjoy crappy programming.
21. Smoking Is Not Sexy: Contrary to the belief system of 1950’s filmmakers, smoking just is not sexy.
22. Vacation Photos: No one wants to sit through a three hour presentation of you bragging or complaining about boring vacation.
23. Yoko Ruins Everything: As the son of one of the world’s greatest Beatles fans, I know this statement to be truth.
24. You Changed Your Parents: Nurturing and loving you wasn’t always their full time job. Believe it or not, your parents had a life before you came along and ruined it!
25. You Can Always Come Home To Family: Through thick and thin, good decisions and bad, family is always going to be there for you. Even if it’s to fly off the handle and strangle you half to death.
And here’s a video by the self-proclaimed man of a kajillion voices, Brock Baker.
It is with a heavy heart that we say, “Goodbye” to Sam Simon. I hope that the 7 Emmy Awards were recognition enough to let you know that you helped to make the world a better, more humorous place to live. On behalf of over 20 years of The Simpsons viewers, thank you for the memories.
H/T to pleated-jeans