As humans, we struggle with the meaning of our existence. It has been the reason for so many conflicts as well as the root for so many religious ideologies throughout human history. It is an extremely complex question, even without having human emotion involved. There are however, so many things in our universe that truly show us how insignificant we are. We are literally a tiny speck of floating rock in a space so vast it’s almost impossible for humans to rationalize how big it really is. What we do here on Earth really has no effect on anything significant in the grand scheme of things. Now I don’t mean to sound like a negative Nancy here. Our lives do have meaning and the relationships we develop here on Earth with other humans really do matter. After reading these mind-blowing facts however, you would be hard pressed not to take a step back and reevaluate what we think our place in the universe is. Facts like these have the ability to show just how trivial some of our daily problems can be. You were 20 minutes late for a meeting, is it really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of what this entire universe is doing around us? Read these 24 mind-blowing facts and see if your perspective on a few things doesn’t change.
1. We have always talked about sunrises and sunsets as if they are separate things that happen every day individually. The truth is though that it is all one constant rising and setting.
2. Imagine gravity disappearing one day. We would all literally just drift off into a complete black abyss.
3. We couldn’t have gotten much more literal with our name for it. “Space” pretty much says it all.
4. If right before I died someone could actually confirm this to me, I would die completely happy. The thought of a Star Wars like battle going on somewhere in the universe is freaking awesome.
5. We’re a bunch of jerks.
6. Poor Pluto…
7. Well, it’s on the internet so it must be true right?
8. If I get stuck next to a crying baby on my interplanetary flight to Mars I’m gonna be so mad.
9. Maybe Michael Bay won’t need CGI in every scene then.
10. Can’t argue with that.
11. Well…at least you accomplished something?
12. I prefer to think it is named after a delicious candy bar.
13. This can actually be a very comforting factoid.
14. We’re pretty much a cosmic science experiment gone wrong.
15. The Earth is still extremely young relative to many parts of the universe.
16. Every time you look up into the sky you are looking into the past.
17. That is still only a fraction of the universe’s age.
18. Could they be thinking about me, thinking about them, thinking about me, thinking about them?
19. Who knows? It’s possible.
20. How awesome would it be to see that?
21. We are all technically aliens.
22. We don’t really thank the sun like we should. It is responsible for everything on this planet.
23. It’s like a giant planet filled car.
24. This is what we end on. We are all created from the same particles that existed when the universe first began. Everything in the universe is connected in that way.
These are some pretty amazing facts that should really make you think. It’s really hard to keep things like this in perspective when we get caught up in our day-to-day lives and problems. If we can keep just a small sense of perspective though, I really think it would go a long way toward humanity treating each other the way we should be treating one another.