There are some absolutely terrifying things that can be found underwater, however some things are absolutely breathtaking in their beauty! I love underwater photography that captures the beauty of what lies beneath the surface of the water. The images that photographer Jorge Cervera Hauser captured are stunning and mysterious. He is able to get amazing images of sea life that are crystal clear and his use of light is simply amazing. Although I would be afraid of most of the animals that he swims with, his photography makes me want to see for myself the grace and majesty of the animals for myself.
1. The juxtaposition of the turtle in the shot is wonderful. I love the deep blue below and how you can see the sun reflecting off the surface of the water as well as the minute details of the turtle itself.
2. I love how you can see the bait ball in its entirety as the fish gather together for protection against the seal.
3. You would think the technique of the fish to get close would be counterproductive. It looks like the seal is just trying to decide which fish it wants to pluck from the pack.
4. I would love to go swimming with sharks, but I think I would lose my nerve before putting a toe in the water. Luckily, with such an amazingly clear photo I don’t have to get in the water myself!
5. This picture is just spectacular! I love the swirls on the surface of the water, and how you can see the crocodile floating through the water, just barely touching the ground. You just don’t get the same effect when taking a picture looking down at the same reptile.
6. Although it is a still shot, you can almost see this stingray as it flaps its wings to submerge itself in the sand.
7. Again, I just love what the surface of the water looks like from below. However I would have a hard time paying attention to that if I was face to face with this menacing creature’s jaws like Hauser had to have been to get this shot.
8. Sharks are so inherently scary, but there is something that is so tranquil about them as well. I love the blue of the ocean floor beneath this beautiful shark!
9. Now this is one oceanic animal that would be so fun to swim with! It looks like these dolphins are smiling as they swim with the photographer.
10. Developing this photo in black and white doesn’t detract from the beauty of the moment captured under water. In fact, it makes it even more amazing.
11. I get chills just seeing this photo of a shark swimming in such dark water. You never know what is just out of sight.
12. The detail on the shark is simply amazing. The light is bouncing off this glorious animal and you can almost see emotion in its eyes, if sharks even show emotion.
13. Now this would be a fun shark to run into, since whale sharks don’t eat people! They are gigantic and absolutely beautiful! My favorite shark of the ocean!
14. I sure hope Hauser was behind the bars of a cage when this beast of a Great White Shark showed up. Is it any wonder that they are always called Great White Sharks?
15. Dolphins are such amazing and graceful creatures. And they always seem to be having fun!
16. Individually the fish aren’t the best looking creatures I’ve ever seen, but this group shot is absolutely beautiful! It looks like the photo was taken from within the middle of the school of fish!
17. Again, if taken alone the individual fish aren’t all that impressive, but the whole school makes for a beautiful picture!
18. I guess this pictures wasn’t technically taken under the water but it’s still impressive nonetheless.
19. I wonder if the little sidekick fish know they look good up against the gray of the shark, or if they just figure it safer to be beside the shark instead of in front of it?
20. I always figured hammerhead sharks wouldn’t be that difficult to keep away from because you can just grab onto its forehead so it’s mouth can’t get near you. Maybe that’s why hammerheads travel in schools.
21. This is an amazing shot, but I would be worried something is coming from out of the blue to take advantage of the ball of fish, and might find you to be an easier target. Thoughts like this is why the ocean scares me.
22. The light off this fish is absolutely amazing! And the black of the deep ocean is breathtaking in itself! It’s a beautiful shot!
More Info: Jorge Cervera Hauser
These underwater pictures are wonderful and amazing, and I’m so grateful for the beauty that can be found in our world. I love that there are brave photographers like Hauser that are able to get in the water, despite the danger, in order to capture the beauty that is found there and share it with us!