We have all heard the saying that life is short and to enjoy each moment, because nobody knows when it might be their last. Death is inevitable for all of us, but the way we die can tell a whole other story. People have been dying in strange ways since the beginning of time. But I decided to put together a list of the most ironic and craziest ways that people have actually died. Some of them seem like they just couldn’t be real or maybe they are from a movie, but in all actuality these are real ways that people have died. I know one thing is for sure, I hope I pass away in my sleep and not like these unfortunate people.
1. The owner of the company that makes Segways died in 2010 after accidentally driving his Segway off a cliff.
2. Austrian tailor Franz Reichelt thought he’d invented a device that could make men fly. He tested this by jumping off the Eiffel Tower while wearing it. He failed and he jumped to his death.
3. In 1992, Greg Austin Gingrich died in the Grand Canyon after jokingly pretending to fall to his death, but then he lost his footing and actually fell to his death.
4. Joao Maria de Souza was killed in 2013 when a cow fell through his roof, landing on top of him as he slept.
5. Monica Meyer, the mayor of Betterton, Maryland, died while checking the town’s sewage level. She fell in and drowned in human waste. GROSS!
6. US congressman Michael F. Farley died in 1921 as a result of shaving. Unfortunately for him, his razor was infected with anthrax.
7. A Russian woman, Fagilyu Mukhametzyanov, died of a heart attack while at her own funeral, because doctors wrongly declared her deceased.
8.Maria Pantazopoulos, from Montreal, drowned to death at her wedding photo shoot, when she fell into a river.
9. Mack Wolford, a snake worshipping preacher, died of a fatal bite from one of the snakes in his church.
10. Talk about cliché. Brian J. Parry shot himself during a gun safety class and died from the wound.
11. In 1771, Adolf Fredrik, who was the King of Sweden at the time, ate himself to death.
12. In 1940, Marcus Garvey died when he suffered two strokes after reading a premature, negative obituary of himself.
13. Alan Stacey, a professional racer, lost control and died in a crash during the Belgian Grand Prix after a bird flew into his face. At least he died doing what he loves, right?
14. In 1974, Basil Brown drank himself to death, but not with alcohol though. He drank too much carrot juice.
15. An entire soccer team died in the Democratic Republic of the Congo via lightning strike. The home team survived. Think it was a coincidence?
16. In 1794, John Kendrick was hit by a cannon ball that was fired as a salute to him.
17. In 1862, Jim Creighton swung a baseball bat so hard it ruptured his bladder. That is one killer swing.
18. Clement Vallandigham accidentally shot himself in court in 1871. The irony, he was demonstrating how the deceased might have accidentally shot himself.
19. In 1972, Leslie Harvey was killed on stage by getting electrocuted by a microphone.
20. After being hit in the balls by a tennis ball, Dick Wertheim collapsed and hit his head on the pavement.
21. Gary Hoy was trying to demonstrate that the glass was unbreakable, when the window popped out of the frame sending him flying to his death.
These ironic deaths are only a short reality of the weird ways that people can and have died. It just puts it into perspective how short life really is. I am sure most of these deaths are in the history books for the weirdest ways to die. Have you heard of any strange or ironic deaths that didn’t make our list? Be sure to share them with us below.