Athletes are mostly known for their performances in the sport they play. That is how they are identified throughout the world. We often tend to forget they are just regular people like the rest of us….except with millions of dollars and beach side mansions. With that money and fame comes never-ending interviews with reporters. I oftentimes find myself saying pretty weird, and sometimes just nonsensical things in my daily conversations. If I had 20 microphones shoved in my face and flashing lights everywhere, I would probably just have verbal vomit most of the time. So it’s not surprising that there have been some hilarious, and downright weird quotes from athletes. We present to you the top ten, right here.
1. Golfer Greg Norman- “I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.” You might want to tell scientists if you have more parents than your mother and father, they might have some questions for you.
2. Soccer Player Ruud Gullit- “We must have had 99 percent of the match, it was the other three percent that cost us.” Well, we know now why he chose soccer instead of being a mathematician.
3. Football Player Frank Gifford- “Pro football is like nuclear warfare. There are no winners, only survivors.” Well to quote the great coach Herm Edwards, “You play to win the game!”
4. Baseball Player Tito Fuentes- “They shouldn’t throw at me. I’m the father of five or six kids.” Where to begin with this one. I’m not sure what is weirder, thinking that people shouldn’t throw at you because you have kids, or not knowing how many kids you have. Apparently he took one too many pitches to the head.
5. MMA Fighter Tim Sylvia- “I’m the oldest I’ve ever been, right now.” Right Tim….that’s how life works….
6. Basketball Player Charles Shackleford- “I can go right, I can go left, I’m amphibious.” I’m not sure how Shackleford balanced life as an NBA player and Aquaman, but it’s pretty impressive.
7. Football Player Joe Theismann- “Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.” Yeah….he had that weird brother Albert who lived in his parent’s basement forever.
8. Baseball Player Pedro Guerrero- “Sometimes they write what I say, not what I mean.” Someone apparently doesn’t understand how journalism works.
9. NBA Coach Jason Kidd- “We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” Yeah, seems about right when he was coach of the Knicks. They just stayed really bad.
10. Football Player Chad Ocho Cinco- “I’m travelling to all 51 states to see who can stop 85.” You would think someone who changed his last name to a number would be able to keep track of the number of states….
There are plenty of incredibly intelligent athletes out there….these guys just may not be among them. Every sport always has a few players that are always good for a hilarious quote. I don’t know about you, but anxiously await when the media is given access to the players, because someone will usually let something slip that will have you on the floor laughing.