Few things are worse than baking cupcakes only to find out you forgot to buy the frosting. Seriously, who wants to run to the store in the middle of making some cupcake masterpieces!? Well read on for some easy fixes and other cooking hacks. Not only for frosting issues, but a good variety of other things that will help out in a pinch and make life in the kitchen easier.
1. Instead of buying whipped cream from the store, which is made with all sorts of chemicals, try making your own. All you need is heavy whipping cream and a jar. Fill the jar halfway with the heavy whipping cream, screw the lid on tight, and shake for about 3 minutes. Now you have delicious, homemade whipped cream!
2. No frosting? No problem! Instead of spending time making your own frosting or buying it from the store, just put a marshmallow in each of your cupcakes when you put them in the oven. The marshmallow will melt into the perfect frosting.
3. Before you spend big bucks on fancy colored and flavored frosting, try this Jell-O trick first. Mix together vanilla frosting and your favorite flavor Jell-O packet. The Jell-O will create cool colors and fun flavors! The more Jell-O mix you add, the more vibrant the color will be.
4. Without a rolling pin? Don’t panic, a wine bottle works just the same. Clean the outside of the bottle first. Then use it to roll out your dough. While your creation is baking, pour yourself a glass. Maybe two.
5. Out of frosting? Before you send naked cupcakes down the runway, grab some lace and powdered sugar. Lay the lace over the cupcake then sprinkle on the powdered sugar. Remove the lace and voila, a glammed up cupcake!
6. Brown sugar tends to get hard and clump together if a little moisture gets in. Fix this by placing a paper towel over the sugar. Put it in the microwave for 20 seconds. When you take it out the brown sugar will be soft and warm.
7. When making sticky treats like Rice Krispie bars, fudge, or granola bars nothing is more annoying than when everything sticks to your hands. Fix this fiasco by wetting your hands first. The food won’t stick to your wet hands, making it much easier for you to shape the food how you want.
8. Use a hot knife to get perfect slices of cake. Run the knife under hot water, then dry. You may need to reheat the knife a few times, but it works like a charm, especially on rich, thick cakes, like cheesecake.
9. Rule the next birthday party with this adorable cookie bowl trick. Turn a cupcake pan upside down and put cookie dough over the mounds. Just bake as your would normal cookies. When they have cooled, carefully remove and fill the edible bowls with ice cream!
10. Every baker’s worst nightmare. After you slave away in the kitchen trying to make the perfect batch of chocolate chip cookies, the bottoms burn. *sob* Use a cheese grater to get rid of the burnt bottoms! It’s as easy as that. No one will ever know the difference.
Oh the cookies that could have been saved if we knew about the cheese grater trick!
Chris Stuber loves the outdoors and has a huge passion for life, family and friends. He's the happiest guy you'll meet. He lives his life to the fullest and is always on a quest for knowledge. Chris enjoys the little things and has a thirst for adventure. You can usually find him hiking in the mountains, kayaking on a lake or in his garage building something unique.
Like what you're reading?
Receive a daily dose of our top stories
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
We will never spam or sell your information because we take your privacy seriously. Unsubscribe anytime.