Anytime I hear that someone has a pet mini pig, I have a hard time not thinking that eventually that mini pig will be turned into food for the family. That was not the case with this mini pig though! Derek Walter and Steve Jenkins are roommates who live in Toronto. Their friend had a mini pig that was up for adoption. Thinking that the mini pig would only be about 70 lbs full-grown, they decided to adopt Esther the pig. But to their surprise, Esther did not stop growing. She’s now topping the scales at a whopping 530 lbs! That’s quite the surprise. I recently started following Esther the Pig on Facebook, and she is pretty adorable. Even though she is insanely large and probably a pretty inconvenient pet, Derek & Steve have taken full advantage of her inspiration. They have given up bacon and have even started a shelter for abused & abandoned commercial farm animals. Their shelter is called The Esther Effect Farm Animal Sanctuary. Who knew that a pig could have so much influence on two roommates.
1. I can see why they thought Esther was a mini pig. Look how cute and small she was.
2. It’s like holding a small cat or dog.
3. And there she grows.
4. Esther apparently likes to pretend she’s one of the dogs. Look like she’s adapting well.
5. Just helping out in the garden.
6. Esther also knows how to open the fridge and other cabinets.
7. Looks like it’s a pretty rough life being Esther.
8. Look how big Esther has gotten since the first picture above.
9. All dressed up with nowhere to go.
10. Awww that face.
11. Just sunbathing.
12. That’s a good look.
13. Esther loves playing with toys.
14. Esther also sleeps on a double bed every night.
15. Dinner time!
16. I love that Esther thinks she’s just one of the animals. After all, it looks pretty clear that she is.
17. That’s a big animal to have in the house.
More info: Esther the Wonder Pig
This story is just so sweet! I had no idea that a pig could be so inspirational, and it looks like she is inspiring everyone around her too. I wonder if she’s house-broken?