Every year the world turns we lose some great people. The year of 2015 was no exception. Some extremely influential and important people have met their end this year, from sports icons, to music legends and business tycoons. Check out the list of people who have passed to the great beyond this year.
1. Yogi Berra, 09/22/2015: Yogi Berra is one of the most beloved figures in all of baseball history. He played 18 seasons for the New York Yankees, winning 13 World Championships in the process. He then managed the team until 1985. He is known for his many quotable moments such as, “It’s like deja vu all over again” or “It ain’t over till it’s over.” He even had a cartoon character named after him. He died at the age of 90 at his home in New Jersey.
2. Vincent “Don Vito” Margera, 11/15/2015- Don Vito died at the age of 59 after falling into a coma. He appeared on the hit show Viva La Bam and Jackass and most of its spin offs. He was often took the brunt of the jokes dished out on both shows. He was diagnosed with kidney and liver failure years before his death. He was also convicted of groping two underage girls at an autograph signing. So he wasn’t the best person, but was influential nonetheless.
3. Scott Weiland, 12/03/2015: This was one was very recent and has been a polarizing subject since it happened. Scott Weiland was the lead singer of both the Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver, two bands that I loved. He was found on the his tour bus right before he was supposed to take the stage in Bloomington, Minnesota with his band the Wildabouts. As to wha the cause of death was, no official ruling was given. Many people though suspect his past history with drug abuse is to blame.
4. Moses Malone, 09/13/2015: Considered one of the greatest 50 basketball players in NBA history, Moses Malone died very unexpectedly at the age of 60. When he did not show up for a celebrity golf tournament, people started to worry and went to his hotel room. He was found dead. He was a 3 time NBA MVP. On top of that, he was the first NBA player to be drafted straight out of high school. He was a 2001 inductee of the NBA Hall Of Fame.
5. Melissa Mathison, 11/04/2015: Mathison was the mind behind some of the biggest movies in recent decades. She was behind the screenplays for The Black Stallion, The Indian In The Cupboard, and Kundun which was directed by Martin Scorsese. She died in Los Angeles at the age of 65. She is also the former wife of Harrison Ford. The two were married from 1983 to 2004.
6. Carol Doda, 11/08/2015: Carol Doda is known for being San Francisco’s most famous topless burlesque dancer. She was the first stripper to go completely topless onstage. This caused a revolution in the adult entertainment industry. On top of that , she was also the first American women to receive silicon breast injections. She passed away from kidney failure at the age of 78.
7. Wes Craven, 08/30/2015: Wes Craven is considered the gold standard when it comes to the horror movie genre. He was the creative mind behind the five Nightmare On Elm Street movies, the Scream series, and The Hills Have Eyes. He died from brain cancer at the age of 76.
8. Darryl Dawkins, 08/27/2015: No cause of death has officially been released for Darryl Dawkins, the legendary NBA superstar. Darryl Dawkins received the nickname “Chocolate Thunder” in 1979 from Stevie Wonder because of his tendency to viciously dunk the basketball so hard that it would literally shatter the backboard.
9. Frank Gifford, 08/09/2015: Gifford is a Pro Football Hall Of Fame, and the former husband of Kathie Lee. He played his college ball at USC. After that he was drafted by the New York Giants. He retired from football in 1964, after which he transitioned into a television broadcaster role. He died of natural causes at the of 84.
10. Sean Price, 08/07/2015: Price died at the age of 43 in his sleep. He was a member of the groups Heltah Skeltah, Boot Camp Clik, and Random Axe. He also had a successful solo career. He spent decades in the music business, releasing three solo albums. The cause of his death is still unknown.
11. “Rowdy” Roddy Piper, 07/31/2015: This one made me really sad actually. Piper was only 61 when he passed away from cardiac arrest. He was inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame in 2005.
12. Bobbi Kristina Houston Brown, 07/26/2015: Bobbi died almost six months after she was found unconscious in her bathtub. She was the 22-year-old daughter of Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown. She never regained consciousness after nearly drowning in her tub. She was kept on life support to see if she would wake up and recover. Unfortunately that never happened. She died under the same circumstances that her mother did. Whitney was found drowned in a tub with a mixture of drugs in her system.
13. Christian Audigier, 07/10/15: Christian died from bone cancer at the age of 57. He was the designer of Ed Hardy and the iconic tattoo shirt. He turned the Von Dutch trucker hat into a craze with celebrities and regular people.
14. Jack Carter, 06/28/15: Jack Carter was a rapid fire comedian and frequent guest on the Ed Sullivan Show. He did many things including Broadways Call Me Mister, to Showtime’s Shameless. He died of respiratory failure at the age of 93.
15. Dick Van Patten, 06/23/2015: Dick Van Patten was the star of Eight Is Enough. He got his start at a young age on Broadway. He was also on shows such as Happy Days, The Love Boat, Arrested Development, That 70’s Show and Hot In Cleveland. He died in Santa Monica, California at the age of 86.
16. Dusty Rhodes, 06/11/2015: Rhodes was born Virgil Runnels Jr. He achieved super stardom in the 1980’s as a professional wrestler for the WWE. He is a member of the WWE Hall Of Fame. He passed away at the age of 69.
17. Sir Christopher Lee, 06/07/2015: One of the legendary actors of our time, Sir Christopher Lee performed in more than 250 films in his lifetime. He is known the world over for his portrayal of Dracula and Frankenstein’s monster. He is also incredibly famous for his role as Scarmanga in James Bond, Saruman in The Lord Of The Rings, and Count Dooku in Star Wars. He passed away at the age of 93.
18. Beau Biden, 05/30/2015: Beau Biden was the son of Vice President Joe Biden and the former Attorney General for the state of Delaware. Beau was a celebrated war hero, and many considered him a rising star in the Democratic Party. He was diagnosed with cancer in 2013 though he was thought to have made a full recovery. Unfortunately, the cancer returned in the spring of 2015.
19. Anne Meara, 05/23/15: Anne Meara was married to jerry Stiller for 60 years. Together they created a comedy empire that included the birth of their son, Ben Stiller. Anne and Jerry appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show many times together. Meara appeared on shows like All My Children, Rhoda, Sex and the City, and The King of Queens. Anne Meara passed away at the age of 85.
20. John Nash, 05/23/15: John Nash is the man the movie A
Beautiful Mind is based on. Nash, 86, and his wife Alicia, 82, were riding in a taxi in New Jersey when they were killed in a car crash. Nash won the Nobel Prize for Economics in 1994 thanks to his groundbreaking work on Game Theory, but his struggle with schizophrenia marred his success.
21. B.B King, 05/14/2015: Known for bringing the blues into the mainstream, the expert guitarist got his start in music after hitchhiking to Memphis in 1947. Over his career, King garnered dozens of awards and honors, ranging from his 30 Grammy nominations to a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, and a Presidential Medal of Freedom. B.B. King passed away at the age of 89.
22. Jean Nidetch, 04/29/2015- Jean Nidetch is the founder of Weight Watchers. More than 50 years ago, she was unhappy at her weight of 214 pounds. She used her weight watchers formula and lost 70 pounds and she kept it off. What started as a gathering of six overweight friends in her living room became a multimillion dollar corporation by the late 1960s. She sold the company to H.J. Heinz Co. for about $71 million in 1978.
23. Homaro Cantu, 04/14/2015: Homaro Cantu was a celebrity chef who was found hanging in an apparent suicide. He was found hanging in a building that he was going to turn into a brewery. Cantu had been a competitor on popular food shows like Iron Chef, Hell’s Kitchen, and Dinner Impossible.
24. Misa Okawa, 04/01/2015: Misa Okawa was the daughter of a kimono maker. She was also the world oldest person in the world at the age of 117. She held a Guinness World Record as the oldest person in the world as of 2013. Okawa suffered heart failure and died peacefully in her sleep at her nursing home.
25. Gary Dahl, 03/23/2015: Dahl is the creator of everyone’s favorite biggest rip off on the planet, the pet rock! Dahl began his career as an advertising copywriter, before inventing the short-lived pet sensation that would eventually make him a millionaire. In 1975, Dahl dreamed up the Pet Rock after hearing friends complain about taking care of their live animals. The rocks sold for $4 each and became an instant sensation. The rocks were discontinued in 1976, but Dahl had already made his millions by then.
26. Richard Glatzer, 03/10/2015- Richard Glatzer was the co-director of the critically acclaimed 2014 film, Still Alice. He passed away at the age of 63. He had a long and hard fight with ALS, and died just weeks after Julianne Moore picked up a Best Actress Oscar for her work in his film.
27. Sam Simon, 03/08/2015: Co-creator of one of the most iconic cartoons of all time, Sam Simon passed away this year from Colon Cancer. Simon won 9 Emmy’s through out his career. he also worked on Cheers and Taxi. He died at the age of 59.
28. Anthony Mason- Mason had a 13 year career in the NBA. He also won a Sixth Man Of he Year Award in 1995, he also made it to the finals in 1994. Anthony Mason died after a heart attack and multiple surgeries earlier in the week.
29. Charmayne “Maxee” Maxwell- Maxwell was best known for here role in the 90’s R & B group Brownstone. She passed away at 46. No cause of death was released.
30. Leonard Nimoy, 02/27/15: Leonard Nimoy passed away at the age of 83. In 2014, he announced that he was diagnosed with end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, probably due to years of smoking. His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed his death. Nimoy was best known for playing Spock in the 1970s Star Trek television series and 1979 film.
31. Mirjana Puhar, 02/24/2015: Mirjana Puhar was a former contestant on the show Americas next Top Model. She was found in the home of her boyfriend murdered along with said boyfriend and another person. Police believe the killings were drug related. They arrested 19-year-old Emmanuel Jesus Rangel in connection with the killings.
32. Ben Woolf, 02/23/2015:Woolf was killed while he was jaywalking. His head was clipped by the side view mirror of an SUV. Woolf was only 4’4″
33. Ahmad Givens, 02/21/2015: The Real chance Of Love Star succumbed to a battle with Colon Cancer. He was only 33.
34. Harris Wittels, 02/19/2015: Wittels was a producer on NBC’s Parks And Rec. He was also behind the popular twitter account @humblebrag. He died at 30 years old from an apparent drug overdose.
35. Jerome Kersey, 02/18/2015: Jerome Kersey played in the NBA for 17 seasons and won a championship with the San Antonio Spurs in 1999. His death was a shock for many at the age of just 52.
36. Bob Simon, 02/11/2015: Bob Simon was a legendary news reporter. Simon,who had won 27 Emmys for his work as a foreign correspondent and was a legendary reporter on the show 60 Minutes was killed in a car accident at the age of 73.
37. Ernie Banks, 01/23/2015: Chicago Cubs hall Of Famer Ernie Banks passed away at 83 years old this year. He is considered one of the best power hitting short stops of the twentieth century. Banks was known for his eternal optimism. His signature, upbeat line became, “It’s a beautiful day for a ballgame. Let’s play two today!”
38. Greg Plitt, 01/17/2015: Greg Plitt was a Bravo personality and a personal trainer. He was also a graduate of West Point. He was struck by a train while filming a workout video. Police ruled out suicide, but they are still unsure how the accident
occurred. He was 37 years old.
39. Darrell Winfield, 01/12/2015: Winfield is one of the original Marlboro Men. He was discovered by an advertising agency while working at Quarter Circle 5 Ranch. For a short period, his face was known as the most photographed in the world. He died at the age of 85.
40. Stuart Scott, 01/04/2015: Scott was known for his personality behind the camera as an anchor for Sportscenter. He introduced an urban vibe and used off the wall verbage with his signature catch phrases “Cool as the other side of the pillow” and Booyah!” He died from cancer at the age of 49.
Donna Douglas, 01/01/2015: Donna Douglas, best known for playing Elly May Clampett on TV series The Beverly Hillbillies, has died of pancreatic cancer. She was 82.
42. Mario Cuomo, 01/01/2015: Former New York Governor Mario Cuomo, 82, died of heart failure at his home in Manhattan. He had suffered a series of illnesses related to heart disease. Cuomo served three terms as the 52nd Governor of New York, from 1983-1994.
That’s quite the list of people. There are some big names on this list that will definitely be missed.