Sometimes life gets so busy that we tend to forget what really matters. We are so stressed about seemingly meaningless things that we lose sight of what is important. Dolly Parton once said, “Don’t get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life,” and that couldn’t be more true. Yes, most of us need a job so we can pay for the basic necessities in life like food, clothing and a home, but other than that, what really matters? If I were to list off the things that were important to me at the top of the list would be family and friends. They are there for me when I need them most, and sometimes they are there when I don’t want them around, but that’s the joy of surrounding yourself with caring people. And of course the list grows from there. But what happens when you ask people who are on their death-bed about their biggest regrets? You end up getting some of the most open and honest answers you wouldn’t expect to hear. Here are top 20 things dying people say they regret the most.
1. I wish I’d cared less about what other people think.
2. I wish I could have felt happier.
3. I wish I’d done more for other people.
4. I wish I hadn’t taken myself so seriously.
5. I wish I’d spent more time with my family.
6. I wish I’d appreciated (fill in the blank) more.
7. I wish I hadn’t worried so much.
8. I wish I’d had more time.
9. I wish I’d taken more risks.
10. I wish I’d taken better care of myself.
11. I wish I had trusted my gut rather than listening to everyone else.
12. I wish I had worked less.
13. I wish I had lived more in the moment.
14. I wish I had let my children grow up to be who they wanted to be.
15. I wish our last conversation hadn’t been an argument.
16. I wish I had traveled more.
17. I wish I had followed my passion in life.
18. I wish I had stood up for myself more.
19. I wish I had accomplished more.
20. I wish I had told (fill in the blank) how I truly felt.
Some of these are so heartbreaking, while others hit close to home. Out of the 20 regrets listed, several got me thinking. It’s important to leave a positive mark on this Earth, so focus on making the changes now that will make sure you have no regrets in the end. Focus on being positive and making a change. Spread your wings and travel. Get out of your comfort zone and live a little!