These photos from the 1970’s are the epitome of awkward fashion. The mood set by this collection of images is so uncomfortable and cringe worthy that we must remember this time was not all terrible. Some good things did come out of the ’70’s like Sticky-Notes, Pink Floyd, and the Boeing 747. Though, as you will see below, some of the popular men’s fashion trends were questionable at the least. It all boils down to one central question: why?
1. At least the trend was colorful and soft. Were these clothes hand-knitted?
2. Can someone please explain these? Are they dance uniforms? Is this work wear? Where is this socially acceptable?
3. Oh man this is only getting better. Those cowboy boots paired with boxing shorts brought this milk maid to the door. I think they were expecting someone else though.
4. The packs of cigarettes inside of their socks – it could not get more ’70s.
5. They really chose top models for this underwear ad. The fish net shirt really compliments the plaid blue.
6. I don’t understand why the giraffe print one-piece ever went out of style.
7. Keep the sheep out of your bad fashion statements! I can’t believe that no sheep were harmed during the photo shoot.
8. Casual street wear: sandals and a hard hat, they are all about practicality.
9. Sorry, but he’s already taken. I know you wanted a piece of that knit hat.
10. Travel knit, for when you don’t want to be obvious that your clothes are knit, but still want them knit.
11. Is the lady laughing at his outfit or that mustache?
12. Someone needs to explain these. I mean were they actually sober in the design process here?
13. “Nightshirt” must have been the slang for man dress back then.
14. At this point, if it wasn’t knit it did not come out of the ’70s.
15. The perfect badminton outfit: a one-piece Speedo!
16. “Ask not. They’re for you.”
17. The belt must really be needed to keep his pants up.
18. This was not a trend, come on. Maybe three people ever wore that.
19. Is the guy on the left wearing a nightshirt too, or is it actually a dress this time? Also the poncho looks more like an area rug to me.
20. Sir, please don’t.
21. The man on the right – his facial expression says it all.
22. They say history repeats itself, but you can only hope this style does not.
Lets hope this tight shirt and baggy pants combination does not return any time soon. The “no rules to fashion” attitude certainly led to some unique styles that stand out compared to any other era. Thankfully these styles did not stick around for long!