A picture is worth a thousand words, but occasionally you’ll find one that leaves you speechless. Some of these photos appear to be pages torn straight out of a fairy tale book. Others are eerie images that will shoot shivers up your spine. Whether you’re looking for nightmares or fairy tale creatures, these 33 amazing abandoned places are sure to impress.
1. Christ of the Abyss in Italy – If you’ve ever gone scuba diving, you know it’s a spiritual experience.
2. Kolmanskop in the Namib Desert – I think someone’s going to be in trouble for turning the house into a sandbox!
3. Abandoned Dome Houses in Southwest Florida – This kinda looks like a set from a low-budget sci-fi movie.
4. The Remains of the SS Ayrfield in Australia – There’s nothing like an abandoned ship growing its own plant life.
5. The Wonderland Amusement Park in China
6. A Fishing Hut on a Lake in Germany – This is either an oddly placed fishing shack, or it seemed like a much better idea before the flood.
7. Holland Island in the Chesapeake Bay
8. The Kerry Way Walking Path in Ireland – A tree may have sprouted in your house, but it makes for a lovely photo!
9. Lonely City in Ukraine – Something disconcerting about a Ferris wheel in an abandoned city.
10. 15th Century Monastery in the Black Forest in Germany – I always wonder about the story behind abandoned monasteries.
11. Kalavantin Durg in India – Breathtaking view, but it seems like a lot of stairs just to fetch the water.
12. The Remains of the Pegasus in Antarctica
13. Angkor Wat in Cambodia – The roots in this photo are phenomenal.
14. The Maunsell Sea Forts in England – Abandoned ANYTHING in the middle of the open water is enough to incite fear.
15. Bodiam Castle in England – Nothing makes me want to explore more than an abandoned castle.
16. Abandoned Train Depot in Poland – This is certainly a breathtaking photo.
17. Sunken Yacht in Antarctica – Creepy and eerie thoughts permeate your mind when you look through the water to find a once inhabited vessel just beneath the surface.
18. Abandoned Distillery in Barbados
19. Hafodunos Hall in North Wales – Here you see beautiful green trees seen through the elegant windows.
20. 1984 Winter Olympics Bobsled Track in Sarajevo
21. Craco, Italy – What could have caused this entire hillside village to abandon their homes?
22. Military Rocket Factory in Russia – Looks like this thing belongs in outer space.
23. Abandoned Mill from 1866 in Italy – It amazes me that the bridge is still standing after 150 years.
24. Cooling Tower of an Abandoned Power Plant – Stare at this photo too long and you may get a little dizzy.
25. House of the Bulgarian Communist Party – Tell me this doesn’t look like a UFO.
26. The Abandoned City of Keelung, Taiwan – So creepy to see entire cities that have been abandoned.
27. Lawndale Theater in Chicago – This theater seated 2000 people before being demolished in 2014.
28. North Brother Island in New York – If it weren’t for the busted out windows, you might not know this building was abandoned.
29. Abandoned Blade Mill in France – That wheel looks a little too dangerous.
30. El Hotel Del Salto in Colombia – I feel a series of unfortunate events coming on.
31. Asuncion, Paraguay – Just a tree growing on a pillar, no big deal.
32. The Tunnel of Love in Ukraine – Feels like we just walked through a door into a secret garden of sorts.
33. Nara Dreamland in Japan – I’m thinking more along the lines of an epic battle scene of the zombie apocalypse.
Those amazing abandoned places prove that a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes the power of those words is that they merely leave you at a loss for words. Which one of these pictures was your favorite? I was blown away by the Hafodunos Hall in North Wales! The colors are incredible.