Growing up, I thought that people 30 years old and above were SO OLD. As I got older, I realized that 30 isn’t that old after all. In fact, the older I get the higher that number that I consider “old” to be gets. After looking at some of these people I realize that you really are only as old as you feel.
Still not convinced that growing old is not so bad? Check the pictures captured by photographer Vladimir Yakovlev in his Age Of Happiness project that will introduce you with many more senior citizens who are rocking their retirement years. Age Of Happiness includes portraits of people who continue to enjoy their favorite things despite being 70, 80, or even 100-years-old. Meet some of Yakovlev’s subjects and other inspirational seniors that destroy all age stereotype. These active seniors are proof that taking care of yourself goes a long way. And having fun while you’re doing it doesn’t hurt either.
1. Greta Pontarelly, 61, is a pole dancer. She probably has more upper body strength than a lot of 20 year olds.
2. This 78 year old skateboarder, Lloyd Kahn, decided to give skateboarding a go at the age of 65.
3. Ruth Flowers, 72, decided to become a DJ at the age of 68.
4. Robert Marchand is 102 and he is a cyclist.
5. Annette Larkins is 70 years old, but you would never know it by looking at her. She attributes her young looks to her raw vegan diet.
6. Doris Long, 100, decided to take up industrial climbing when she was 85.
7. This is 87 year old ice skater, Yvonne Dowlen.
8. Duan Tzinfu is 73 and he has moves that are so complex, even young athletes can’t keep up.
9. Dr. Jeffrey, 70, started to get into fitness at the age of 60. Looks like it really paid off.
10. Bodybuilder Jim Morris, 78, decided to become a vegetarian at the age of 50, and then a vegan 15 years later.
11. Wirginia, who is 75 years old, is from Poland and decided to become a DJ a couple of years ago. It sounds like there might be a lot of Granny DJ’s out there.
12. Mountain skier Alexander Rozental is 96 years old. And by the looks of it he loves chocolate.
13. Lynn Ruth Miller, 80, is a stand-up comedian. She started doing stand-up at the age of 70.
14. Cindy Joseph, 61, works as a photo model, is active in physical fitness, and runs a very popular video blog.
15. Madonna Buder, 83, is a nun. And she runs marathons.
16. Pat and Alicia Moorhead, 81 and 66 year old, are skydivers. Look at how happy they look too. Very cute!
17. This is the Women Aikido Group in Novosibirsk. The youngest member is 55 years old, the oldest is 75.
18. Paul Fegen, 78, is a magician that makes his living doing card tricks. He is also a former multi-millionaire.
19. Valentin Badich, 75, dances the boogie-woogie, rockabilly and a whole lot more.
20. Jacqueline Murdock started modeling at the age of 82.
21. This 70 year old travels around the world. He takes photographs documenting everywhere he goes.
22. Lynda Fox, who is 67, started riding horses 5 years ago. Now she competes in dressage (the art of training a horse).
23. Stanislaw Kowalski, 104 years old, is the oldest Polish sprinter. In this picture he doesn’t look anywhere near 104 years old.
24. This 80+ couple shares all of their relationship advice with troubled couples.
25. Antoni Huczyński of Poland is a 92 year old sportsmen. He is known as Dziarski Dziadek (Spry Grandfather).
26. Manoel De Oliveira, 106, is the oldest active film director in the world.
27. Robert Cortes, 80, is in the AAU Power Lifting Hall Of Fame. He has 20 World Titles, 35 National Titles, and 42 World Records.
28. Ann M. is currently 61. She decided to hit the track and start riding sports bikes at the age of 57.
29. Dion Friedland, 70, is the Old World Body Building Champion and Mr. Universe.
30. Yangke Kirana, of Indonesia is a 63 year old adventurer and thrill seeker.
31. Gypsy Eden is a 77 year old Jazz singer.
32. Jaque Fresco is a futurist, social-structural engineer, and architectural-industrial designer.
33. Sakino, 66, started fitness and lindy hop at 65.
34. Aleksander Doba, 67, a Polish kayaker, paddled 7,716 miles across the Atlantic Ocean.
35. Kite Surf Granny. Gerthy Baars At 64 can be found kite boarding in Tarifa, Cape Town, and Brazil.
More Info: The Age Of Happiness
No matter what your age, it’s never too late to try something new. If you ever think you are too old to try something, remember these people and know that you are never to old to try. What are your thoughts?