When Peter Middleton found this tawny owl abandoned owl just lying on the ground, he knew he had to do something to save him. The owl was covered in mud with his feet infected. He was in a very sorry state.
1. The owl named Bertie does not like going outdoors and is now far more comfortable helping Peter.
2. He spent the first two months of his life being cared for by the vets. He was just a tiny tennis ball-sized piece of fluff. He was becoming a bit of a liability as he was flying around, standing on top of the doors and watching everybody.
3. Mr. Middleton was given the owl by the vet to take care of, and they would eventually put Bertie in an aviary with all the other owls.
4. But he was agitated and didn’t like it so Mr. Middleton went to his big dog’s cage on his back porch and put him inside there.
5. Now the owl stays inside all the time and watches over his new owner.
6. Multi-skilled Bertie also likes to help Mr. Middleton make a cup of tea – and is fond of sitting on top of the kettle.
7. He has a lovely view out of the window and hoots when anyone arrives.
As part of Bertie’s daily routine, he has a bath in the dog’s bowl and a special tray put out for him, then dries his feathers out on top as Mr. Middleton explained. His diet includes day-old chicks and mice.