It seems nowadays there is very little variety when it comes to men’s fashions. Most looks are relatively somber when compared to the plethora of options that women have when it comes to what to wear. However, that wasn’t always the case. If you have ever flipped through a men’s magazine from the 70’s, you would realize that men were just as fashion forward as women. It’s amazing that these ideas haven’t evolved with the times, but then again, after seeing them, you may be relieved that they died out as you ask yourself “What were they thinking?” Check out these 1970s mens fashion choices that disappeared along with the world of disco.
1. I’m not sure which outfit out of the four I like best! Maybe the complicated simplicity of the dual toned jump suit with the dress shirt underneath!
2. Maybe, just maybe, this look would have made it with a manlier belt!
3. One of my favorite things about catalogs is the impeccable acting that goes on to capture the perfect shot while showing off the clothing perfectly.
4. The cutout in the floral print shirt is my favorite. It accentuates the accessories perfectly!
5. Striking is right! And 10% off when you buy two? Who would choose to get only one?!
6. I seriously don’t understand why onesies for men are no longer a thing.
7. I was at Target the other day and horizontal openings are making a come back! You’re welcome!
8. For days when you wish you could walk around in a fringed blanket all day. It was possible 40 some-odd years ago.
9. Am I the one that is more interested in the hanger made for underwear? No thank you. And truthfully I appreciate that some of the models had realistic bodies!
10. Thank goodness those slacks gave you power. You might need it if you wore them today to keep from getting beat up.
11. Knits are all the rage! I sure hope he has a knit pair of shorts under that thing!
12. I wonder if this sweater came with a chicken so you could look extra manly!
13. It’s the accessories that really make this look work!
14. Who doesn’t want a nautical man in your bedroom?
15. You can’t possibly be tired of the plain life when dressed in these!
16. You could coordinate your entire family with these casual looks! Family picture time!
17. Everyone needs a matching cap to go with their knit sweater vest! I wonder if this was the beginning to today’s beanie!
18. Talk about eat, sleep, and drink what you love! I’m not sure how I feel about the Budweiser terry-go-round.
19. You and your friends would look amazing in these metallic outfits at your next balloon and smoke party!
20. I have seen women in those exact outfits of the men on the left making me believe what comes around goes around actually has happened!
21. Belted sweaters. Need I say more? (However, that hat that is featured here is to die for!)
22. Now you know where they find plaid fabric. It comes from plaid sheep, of course!
23. The party pants on the right look super comfy!
24. It may seem restrictive but it’s actually very freeing!
25. Who wouldn’t LOVE this FUNTAWEAR underwear!
26. You really can’t go wrong with a belted sweater. I’m shocked they aren’t more popular today
27. Full body underwear that is treated to stay sanitized! I wonder if that means you don’t have to wash it?
28. Look at that sexy man in the mirror! This brings a whole new meaning to the idea of lounge wear.
29. Ask not. They’re for you in a ring-a-ding assortment of colors and fabrics!
30. Who wears short shorts? He wears short shorts! Daisy dukes aren’t just for her. They also make great jogging shorts!
31. Emphasizing the pockets makes everyone look sexy!
32. You didn’t know you were supposed to not only coordinate your tank top with your whitey tighties but you’re supposed to tuck them in too!
33. Everything about the Travelknit four piece says “style” and the price speaks for itself. I want one in the spring shade of rust.
34. For about $9.00, you could have gotten the attention of a 100% female with these fun slacks in a wide range of patterns!
35. The pipe, the necklace, and the scarf really complete the looks of these classy men.
36. Knitted and crocheted. You really can’t get better than that, which is why these are the best of the vests!
37. It’s just… leotard. Oh my. No.
38. Show where your headed in the ultimate fashion climax. It fits so tight it shows all you’ve got. You’re a walking turn on!
39. This must be where the term “fancy pants” comes from!
40. I’m not sure the construction hat has anything to do with these clothes.
After seeing where the world of men’s fashion was then, compared to where it is now, I am grateful for the way the trend has taken a turn for the better. However, I’m sure these were amazing in their day. Maybe in 40 some odd years we will look back at today’s fashions and wonder what we were thinking, for both men and women! And who knows, maybe these looks will come back in a few more years! You never know!