There is something fascinating about old creepy graves and tombstones with epitaphs that freeze strange messages into time. Sometimes though, the gravestones can be so much spookier than the graveyard itself. Take these 23 graves for example…
1. Sealing himself in forever.
2. I wonder if he was a smoker.
3. This grave design from the Victorian era was meant to prevent the dead from escaping the grave.
4. My heart hurts.
6. The grave marker of a French journalist from the 18th century.
7. This is the grave of a 16-year-old girl. Her sister had this life-sized gravestone commissioned for her.
8. The last remaining grave from an old cemetery in rural Indiana. Even though most of the graveyard was moved to make way for the state highway, the grandson of the woman buried there refused to have his grandmother moved. The county eventually gave in and built the road around the grave.
9. Disney fan.
10. I guess he loved his cell phone.
11. Happy ever after.
12. This one is for a maze maker.
14. Endless Love, from Thailand
15. The graves of husband and wife are connected from two adjacent cemeteries. The wife was a protestant and the husband was Catholic. They died at a time when protestants and catholics cemeteries were strictly separated.
16. Nature taking over a grave.
17. This one is just strange.
18. Scrabble Lover?
19. This one is from Italy.
20. This life size girl in the glass box grave was commissioned by the girl’s mother.
21. Nature, once again taking over this grave.
22. Located in Paris, France.
23. This grieving mother had this grave designed for her 10-year-old daughter in 1871. While she was alive, the daughter was terrified of storms. The grave was constructed with an entrance that descends to the level of the coffin. Her mother would come and enter the tomb during storms to comfort her child.
How do you want your tombstone to be when you pass away? Would you want it funny and exciting?