Have you ever found yourself looking at a piece of food and thought, “what the heck is that?” It definitely makes you think twice about taking a bite of it. There are also things we eat that, if I saw it in its original form, I may not eat it. Well these 21 fruits, vegetables and nuts are definitely not the most appetizing things in their original form. See if you can guess what they are, because I certainly couldn’t on some of them.
1. Olives actually come from a tree like this one. They are harvested by shaking the tree until they fall off.
2. Eggplants grow from these low hanging plants, and are actually classified as a berry.
3. This strange-looking thing is actually what a cashew grows out of. The shells are toxic, which is why you will never find unshelled cashews.
4. This one wasn’t really a surprise. Kidney beans grow in these pods.
5. I never knew that broccoli was the flower of this plant. I also hate it and never eat it, so that might be why.
6. Peanuts grow underground, and look strange when attached to the plant.
7. Celery – Celery is probably one of the most bland things on the planet.
8. Dates – I’ve never actually eaten a date, so I really had no preconceived notion of what they would look like. This however, is unexpected.
9. Artichokes are actually a flower, beautiful ones at that. We eat the bud of the flower that produce these beautiful blossom when they bloom. This also renders it inedible however.
10. Kiwi grows on vines much the same as grapes. Not what I would have pictured.
11. Pineapple fields are pretty well-known. I’d love to see some in person one day.
12. This flower is actually a blossomed caper.
13. Asparagus look the same when you pick them….it’s just weird seeing them in the ground though.
14. Avocados grow on trees in big clusters. One of my favorite fruits, they just go good with almost anything.
15. I had no idea about this one. Cinnamon is actually the dried inner bark of this tree.
16. Ginger is actually the root of this plant. It’s amazing how many things are actually roots.
17. Almonds are actually considered the seeds of this tree, and grow in woody shells.
18. Chickpeas grow in these little green shells on low hanging plants.
19. One of the craziest vegetables I’ve ever seen, Brussel sprouts grow on these weird stalks.
20. Papayas are just big blobs that grow in clusters.
21. Quinoa is actually the edible seeds from this plant right here.
The fact that I didn’t know what a lot of these looked like probably says something about my diet. I’ve definitely been trying to be more adventurous with my eating habits lately, so maybe this will be a little motivation to try some of these.