Over the last 60 years or so, advertising has definitely evolved with society. More women are working outside of the home, children are being protected from the outside world, and men are sharing the housekeeping chores with their significant others. Because of these changes, it’s always interesting to look back on what ads were popular back in the day. Some of these are bizarre, some are crazy, and some are just down right offensive!
1. Babies love 7Up!
2. Peter Pan causing colds? Alright!
3. It’s funny that these same types of ads still exist, but the products have been updated.
4. Doctors promoting Camel cigarettes? This seems crazy now!
5. I’m guessing they are selling seeds, but this is an odd ad.
6. Plastic bags are not toys, silly Pelican!
7. Cocaine toothache drops?
8. I can’t believe this was a real ad!
9. A family that shoots together, stays together?
10. This is harmless, yet it’s a grenade? I’m confused but for only $1.25, why not?
11. I’m so glad this trend didn’t stick.
12. Who needs exercise when you have this chair!
13. Kenwood Chef
14. I don’t know if I would ever consider Ketchup mouth-watering.
15. Offensive AND racist!
16. This should probably make a comeback!
17. I didn’t know that natives wore leopard print Betty Page togas while being carried around on a wicker chair.
18. I guess there is a replacement for Mom.
19. I wonder what this contained. I don’t know if I’d trust it by the look of the bottle.
20. Women can’t bowl without a little luck apparently!
21. I am so glad that some of these ads are no longer around!
22. Postage & Murder? Kind of an odd advertisement.
23. I’m not 100% sure how this translates, but it is slightly disturbing.
24. Nothing like a child in bed with her doll and gun.
25. PHEW! Glad there was a product for werewolves!
26. It’s all about priorities.
27. UMMM…. not sure what to say about this one.
28. I’m thinking babies shouldn’t be shaving ever.
29. Nothing makes a guy smile like…. Sunny Brook?
30. It’s funny seeing television being marketed as a positive thing.
31. I haven’t seen a cigarette ad in a magazine for ages!
32. I’m guessing there wasn’t an obesity epidemic when this ad came out.
33. All I could do is shake my head.
34. I have no idea what they are advertising here.
35. I am so confused by this ad with a beaver.
What ads do you remember from when you were younger that would be offensive or bizarre nowadays. Some ads were pretty great back then, but these 35 definitely reminded me how far our society has come.