When most actors and actresses are cast for a role, they tend to do some preparation for the part. You will hear stories about how an actor read books or watched different movies to get a better feel for the part they are playing. But sometimes, some actors will take their new character to a whole new level. They are intrigued with playing the part and will do just about anything to achieve the characteristics of the person they are playing. Wait until you see how some of these actors prepared for their movie roles.
1. Adrian Brody gave up his apartment and car, and moved to Europe with just two bags to prepare for his role in The Pianist.
2. Jim Carrey took his role as Andy Kaufman so seriously that he continued an ongoing feud with Jerry Lawler and even spit in his face.
3. In the movie, The Birds, Tippi Hedren had live birds thrown on her in order to be prepared.
4. Clint Eastwood takes acting seriously. After he bought the rights for Unforgiven, he waited 15 years before making the movie. He wanted to be old enough to convincingly play the lead role of William Munny.
5. Brad Pitt has his smile ruined in order to play the role of Tyler in Fight Club. He had his two front teeth professionally chipped, then repaired them once they were done filming.
6. Christian Bale does not mess around when he is cast for a role. He lived on an apple a day to prepare for his role in The Machinist and then put on 100 pounds of muscle to play Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins.
7. Tom Hanks wanted his role on Castaway to be so realistic. At one point during filming, they had to stop so he could lose 50 pounds and grow his hair and beard out.
8. Gary Oldman has played a lot of roles where he played an American. So many in fact, that he had to see a speech therapist to get his British accent back.
9. To play a convincing Walter White, Bryan Cranston learned how to make meth by the DEA.
10. In order to prepare for his role as Jim Morrison, Val Kilmer wore his clothes, visited his hang out places, and went to his apartment. He was so convincing, in fact, that the other members of the band couldn’t tell who was actually singing during the movie.
11. Heath Ledger spent a month locked in a hotel room to get ready for his role as Joker. He wanted to get in touch with how unpredictable a psychopath could be.
12. Charlie Sheen wanted to play his role in Major League perfectly, so he took steroids so he could throw better.
13. In All Things Fall Apart, rapper 50 Cent lost 50 pounds so he could play a cancer patient perfectly.
14.In Jungle Fever, to achieve the homeless crack addict appearance, Haley Berry didn’t shower for 2 weeks.
15. For his role in Leaving Las Vegas, Nicholas Cage would get drunk and video tape himself so he could memorize his drunk speech patterns.
16. To play his incredible role in Taxi Driver, Robert De Niro got a real taxi license and drove people around New York for 12 hours a day.
17. Jared Leto gained over 60 pounds for his role in Chapter 27.
These extreme actors went as far as they could go in order to portray an accurate character in a film. And although it seems insane, without it, I don’t think some of these films would be as good as they are. It’s amazing to see how these 17 actors prepared for their movie roles.